QQI Health & Safety training is a 4 day module which is available only for Private HomeCare carers. If you are interested in working with us, please visit our recruitment page. Once approved by us to become a carer, you can join any of our courses immediately!
- QQI Course Code : 5N1794
- NFQ Level 5
- Award Class Minor
Course Dates and Cost
- Tuesdays 12th and 26th February 2019
- Tuesdays 12th and 19th of March 2019
- Wednesday 24th and Thursday 25th of April 2019
Cost is €195 per person for the entire course, including all materials.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Determine the rules, regulations, procedures & evacuation plan of the training location
- State the principle aspects of Health & Safety Awareness & Regulations, Acts & Legislation
- List the responsibilities of employer & employee
- Describe the role of the HSA (Health & Safety Authority).
- Describe the general principle of prevention, functions of a safety statement
- Outline the Promotion of Safety & Health in the workplace
- Evaluate the role, importance & understanding of personal hygiene, grooming, healthcare, diet, & exercise
- Discuss the effects of medication & substance abuse, together with personal behaviour & PPEs (Personal Protective Equipment) to minimize accidents.
- Explain the need to control risks & hazards found in the workplace
- Discuss control measures associated with the working environment to include physical / chemical / biological & human factor hazards, entrance, exits & waste.
- Discuss the importance of cleanliness in the Workplace
- Identify various cleaning chemicals, labels, dilution rates, MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets), procedures for the use & disposal of hazardous materials & waste
- Cross-contamination, colour coding & cleaning pie, bacteria/viruses, correct cleaning techniques & procedures
- Investigate various types of cleaning equipment.
- Identify document types / forms, relevant workplace safety, policy & procedures, risk assessment, accident or incident report form, emergency procedures, fire safety check list & hazard identification forms
- Explain the relationship between risks & hazards, including identification / analysis / assessment / prevention / review of mechanical & electrical equipment
- Discuss control risks, lifting equipment, slips, trips & falls, & electrical installations.
- Analyse the cause & prevention of fire related events / emergencies & when to call the emergency services
- Carry out a fire evacuation plan, identify emergency routes to emergency exits
- Identify a range of fire types / classes / extinguishers / fire-fighting equipment
- Discuss the Fire Triangle and demonstrate the use of a fire extinguisher & carry out correct procedure for checking smoke alarms.
- Examine a range of issues related to infection control
- Describe the conditions for the growth & development of microorganisms, and the mode of transmission
- Identify the symptoms of ill-health and preventative measures
- Outline the emergency procedures for suspected contamination.
- Explain the requirement for Manual Handling awareness, ergonomics, leverage effect, cumulative strain & posture abuse
- Demonstrate a single lift technique and an assisted lift technique
- Demonstrate the correct procedure for moving & handling heavy / hazardous / fragile items.
- Explain the critical factors in association with workstations / VDUs / DSEs / furniture / ergonomics & health in relation to Workplace safety
- Explain signage, their shapes / colour / principles of the safety system of safety signs / information / instruction & geometrics. Interpret a range of safety signs in the workplace.
4 days spread across a number of weeks.
To reserve your place, please contact our training team.
Training takes place in the Lucan Centre, Lucan, Dublin. This is accessible by frequent public transport buses. Full details will be provided upon booking.
All of our training is delivered by our inhouse certified trainer, Anna Lloyd. Anna has extensive experience within the care industry as well as being a professional trainer. Anna's style is friendly, interactive and very supportive.
To see our full list of QQI courses, visit our Carer Training page.